The Section of Interventional Pulmonology (IP) at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) is offering an Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Fellowship for new and experienced APPs who are interested in a 1-year specialty training experience with a focus on critical care.
The APP Fellowship is designed to provide the APP with the skills and knowledge needed to care for complex airway and pleural diseases. The IP medical fellowship at BIDMC started in 2000. In August 2012, the BIDMC and MGH IP programs agreed to merge to create the Harvard Interventional Pulmonary Program. These two teaching institutions have a long-standing devotion to education and training the next generation of physicians and APP’s. In 2021, we will be introducing our first APP Fellowship focusing on training nurse practitioners and physician assistants specialized acute care skills.
Target Learner: Advance Practice Provider (New or experienced)
Duration: 1 year (September 1 – August 31)
Goals and Objectives for Training
The Harvard APP IP Fellowship is designed to provide the trainee with the necessary tools to collaborate with and strengthen a multidisciplinary Interventional Pulmonary program.
Interventional Pulmonary at BIDMC:
Adnan Majid, MD, Director, IP
Mihir Parikh, MD, Staff Physician
Fayez Kheir, MD, Staff Physician
Alichia Paton, ACNP-BC
Molly Trachtenberg, AGACNP-BC
Educational Program- Basic Curriculum/Scope of the Program
Clinical Services: Inpatient, Outpatient and Operating Room Observership
1. Complex Airway Program: BIDMC serves as regional and national referral center for patients with malignant and benign airway disorders. The entire scope of endoscopic interventions including rigid bronchoscopy, photodynamic therapy, laser therapy, argon plasma coagulation, cryotherapy, stenting, etc. are offered.
Evaluation of patients with:
2. Pleural Disease Program: At BIDMC nearly all medical patients with pleural diseases are evaluated and treated by the IP service at some point in time. We offer medical thoracoscopy, ultrasound guided thoracentesis with pleural manometry, tunneled pleural catheter, and chest tube placement as procedures for the management of pleural disorders.
Complicated pleural effusions/empyema
Primary, secondary, and iatrogenic pneumothoraces
3. Advanced Diagnostic Bronchoscopy: At BIDMC we perform navigational bronchoscopy including robotic and electromagnetic, narrow band imaging (NBI) and image guided TBNA through CT fluoroscopy or EBUS (radial or linear) on patients referred for challenging diagnostic or staging purposes.
Diagnostic techniques for evaluation and treatment of patients with malignant airway obstruction and hemoptysis.
4. Bronchial Thermoplasty Program: BIDMC is one of the few centers in New England performing bronchial thermoplasty for patients with severe, persistent asthma who remain symptomatic despite maximal medical treatment.
5. COPD Clinic: As part of a multidisciplinary clinic along with Pulmonary Medicine, Thoracic Surgery and Thoracic Radiology the IP service at BIDMC is one of the few centers in New England performing endoscopic lung volume reduction and industry sponsored trials for patients with chronic bronchitis.
IP related and medical device development research is an important aspect of our program. Collaborations with many manufacturers and device developers exist. This means that several clinical trials are ongoing at any time. The opportunity will exist for the APP IP fellow to be actively involved in IP related research and present results in conferences and peer reviewed journals.
Navigational guidance systems for diagnosis of lung nodules.
Tracheomalacia pathogenesis and treatment
Basic and Advanced Pleural Procedures
APP Fellows are always supervised by a staff member during all procedures.
The program director will perform a formal evaluation of the clinical, educational, and research performance of the fellows monthly for the first 3 months followed by quarterly evaluation. In addition, the fellows’ performance will be continuously monitored and evaluated by all the staff members daily.
Deadline of application: October 01, 2021
Fellowship start date: January 3,, 2021
For more information please contact Alichia Paton or submit application to: firstname.lastname@example.org